School of Sociology and ANU Centre for Social Research and Methods, ANU. Established and leads the VOSON Lab and is involved in research, software development and teaching.
Postdoctoral research fellow, School of Sociology and School of Computer Science, ANU. Research interests include computational sociology, social theory, choice and decision-making and social network analysis.
(News & Media Research Centre, University of Canberra and Adjunct, School of Sociology, ANU). Chief investigator on the ARC grant that formally established the VOSON Lab. Research interests include collective identity and issue diffusion.
Graduated from ANU Master of Social Research in 2010. Francisca works as a part-time research assistant for the VOSON Lab.
Xiaolan is a current student of the Master of Social Research, ANU. She works as a part-time research assistant for the VOSON Lab.
Students associated with the VOSON Lab
- Yuanyuan Shang (PhD candidate, Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science, ANU) - Yuanyuan is the principal investigator of "User behaviours and social networks on new media about scientific topics".
- Noahlyn Maranan (PhD candidate, Political Science, Australian Defence Force Academy - UNSW Canberra). Nohalyn's thesis is on Social media and politics in the Philippines. Advisor - R. Ackland
- Sneha Vaidya (Master of Social Research (Advanced), ANU). Sneha's research is on social and political engagement on Twitter in India. Advisor - R. Ackland
- Leon Colombo (Master of Social Research (Advanced), ANU). Leon's research is focused on the prevalence of uncivil discourse on social media in relation to a polarising political topic, with a focus on Twitter during the Australian marriage equality debate in 2017. Advisor - R. Ackland
- Lawrence Rogers (3rd year BA Applied Statistics and International Relations, ANU). Lawrence is studying Twitter bots and their role in the 2016 US election. Advisor - R. Ackland
People previously associated with the VOSON Lab
- Dr Haris Memic (Research Fellow in School of Sociology, ANU, 2015-17) - his research was focused on statistical social network analysis of online networks, with particular focus on Twitter.
- Dr Yenn Lee (SOAS, University of London) researches in the field of digital culture and politics (with focus on the Asia-Pacific region) and taught and co-taught in the Online Research Methods masters course at ANU 2012-2013 (focusing on online qualitative methods).
- Mahin Raissi (PhD, Australian Demographic & Social Research Institute, ANU, 2016). Her PhD research titled: "Online social networks and subjective well-being of older Australians", was on the topic of social influence in social media, focusing on social networks and successful ageing in Australia. Panel chair - R. Ackland
- Ian Wood (PhD, Research School of Computer Science, ANU, 2016). Research titled: "Watching the unobservable - On measuring social dynamics of online social media". Advisor - R. Ackland
- Pilar Rioseco (PhD, Australian Demographic & Social Research Institute, ANU, 2015). Research titled: "The role of social connectedness in the process of retirement in Australia". Advisor - R. Ackland
- Minkyoung Kim (PhD, Research School of Computer Science, ANU, 2014). Research titled: "Dynamics of information diffusion". Advisor - R. Ackland
- Heather Crawford (graduated from ANU Master of Social Research in 2010) worked as a part-time research assistant and also edited the VOSON website.
- Susannah Sabine (graduated from ANU Master of Social Research, Social Science of the Internet stream in 2010) worked as a research assistant to Robert Ackland, assisting with the chapter on WWW hyperlink networks in the NodeXL book.
- Natalie Cooper (ANU employee, 2004-2005) worked as a research assistant to Rachel Gibson and Robert Ackland.
Software Developers and Testers
- Lin Chen (ANU compsci masters student 2009, ANU employee 2010-2013) worked as a software developer and research assistant. His computer science masters research project was on VOSON-sns.
- Xiantong Chen (ANU compsci masters student 2009) worked on optimising the VOSON C++ code using concurrent programming techniques as the topic of his masters project.
- Stephen Gray (ANU employee, 2003-2007) contributed to code relating to the interaction between PHP and perl (in particular, use of XML to pass results from perl analysis code to PHP user interface code) and implemented a new menuing system using Yahoo UI library.
- Russell Standish (consultant, 2005) worked on incorporating web services into VOSON, including a prototype web service using gSoap, and provided general programming advice.
- Joel McDonald (ANU employee and student, 2001-2004) contributed to code for an earlier Qt-based version of the software, and wrote the first version of the perl-based webcrawler (JSpyda).
- Jenny Ackland has provided research assistance and assistance with documenting and bug testing the VOSON System.