The VOSON Lab was formally established in 2005 with an Australian Research Council Special Research Initiative grant. We have been researching online networks since before the era of Facebook and Twitter, and our research has been funded by several ARC grants.
Australian Research Council (ARC) Grants
- Understanding online attention and user-generated content creation: An information consumption and production perspective
(DP140103688, 2014-2016). Robert Ackland
- The institutional structure of e government: a cross policy, cross country comparison
(DP110100446, 2011-2013). Paul Henman (University of Queensland), Robert Ackland and Helen Margetts (Oxford University)
- The role of online social networks in successful ageing: benefiting from 'who you know' at older ages
(LP0990974, 2009-2012). Heather Booth (ANU), Robert Ackland and Tim Windsor (Flinders University)
- Virtual Observatory for the Study of Online Networks (VOSON)
(SR0567298, 2005). Robert Ackland, Rachel Gibson (University of Manchester), Mathieu O'Neil (University of Canberra), Markus Buchhorn, Bruce Bimber (University of California, Santa Barbara) and Steve Ward (University of Salford).
- New Methods for Researching the Existence and Impact of Political Networks on the WWW
(DP0452051, 2004-2005). Robert Ackland and Rachel Gibson (University of Manchester)
- Socialbots as political actors? Autonomous communication technologies as tools and objects for digital sociology.
Funded by the Australia – Germany Joint Research Co-operation Scheme 2017-18 (Universities Australia – DAAD), collaborating with Dr Florian Muhle , Faculty of Sociology, Bielefeld University. (2017-2018, Robert Ackland and Tim Graham).
- Collaboration with Tsinghua University Beihang University and CityU-Shenzhen and others to strengthen Australia-China cooperation in computational social science and research into information diffusion in social media.
Australia-China Science Research Fund Grant (ACSRF06323, 2013). Lexing Xie, Robert Ackland and Paul Thomas. This grant was awarded by the Department of Industry, Innovation, Science, Research and Tertiary Education.
- ANU Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Enhancement Grant for Web Application for Teaching the Collection and Analysis of Social Media Data (2017). Robert Ackland and Tim Graham.
- ANU College of Arts and Social Sciences Internal Grants Scheme for Obtaining new insight from big data: Humanities and social science research at scale (2014). R. Ackland, K. Bode, R. Broadhurst, D. Halpin, P. Kelly, J. Lamond, G. Roe, J. Simpson, G. Smith, C.Travis).
- ANU Vice-Chancellor's Teaching Enhancement Grant for Computational Social Science Weblab (2013). Robert Ackland and Lexing Xie
- R. Ackland - Incoming visitor scholar award, International Visitor Exchange Scheme (IVES), UK National Centre for Research Methods International, (2017).
- R. Ackland - travel grant to attend the Fourth International Workshop on Network Theory: Networked Social Movements, jointly organised by the Annenberg Networks Network (ANN) and SONIC, held at the University of Southern California, 26-28 April, 2012.
- R. Ackland - travel grant to attend Third International Workshop on Network Theory: Web Science Meets Network Science jointly organised by the organised by the Annenberg Networks Network (ANN) and SONIC, held at Northwestern University, 4-6 March, 2011.