This page provides resources for participants in the Big Data Analysis for Social Scientists 1-day course that will be held at National Chengchi University, Taipei on 26 June 2017. The course will be taught by Robert Ackland (Australian National University).
If you would like to start looking at related content, try the SocialMediaLab page. Also, a 5-day course run earlier this year will give you some idea about what we will cover in the course (we will cover less, as we only have one day).
SocialMediaLab collects Twitter, YouTube and Facebook data from the respective free APIs. If you want to collect data you will need to arrange API access. You can find details on how to get API access here.
- Introduction to R and RStudio: Rmd, pdf
- SocialMediaLab Tutorial - Data Collection: Rmd, pdf
- Introduction to SNA with igraph: Rmd, pdf
- Analysing the "Divided They Blog" network: Rmd, pdf
- Introduction to Text Analysis in R - Environmental Activist Websites: Rmd, pdf
- 1-mode projections from 2-mode graphs (Facebook): using igraph, using Jaccard threshold
- Facebook data collection:
- Twitter collection:
- YouTube collection:
- For Introduction to SNA with igraph: Sat_Jun_27_13-04-34_2015_EST_YoutubeActorNetwork_FiveFracking.graphml
- For Introduction to Text Analysis in R: nano2seeds_v2.csv
- For exercises: